In 2018 I published the English print version of my book, Food Sobriety. It is both a practical weight-loss guide and a meditation on themes of social justice and the role of diet in our changing world. [buy on Amazon]
I’ve also released a companion documentary short, A Faustian Bargain. In this dual-language (Spanish/English) film I look at the rapidly growing obesity epidemic in Nicaragua through the lens of local residents and health care practitioners. Professors and health educators, including Peace Corps Nicaragua, are using the book and video in both Latin America and the USA.
Both the book and the documentary short were inspired by my years in Nicaragua, including my recent stint as a Fulbright Scholar.
I am spending much of 2018 traveling to universities, healthcare facilities, and conferences to raise awareness about global obesity via:
- A screening and discussion of A Faustian Bargain
- A short lecture on obesity in the developing world
- A collection of Nicaraguan folk art
I AM SEEKING OPPORTUNITIES TO SPEAK. If you are interested in having me come and present to your institution, event, or group please contact me at dfenyvesi [at] hotmail [dot] com
I can tailor my talks to the specific audiences, such as providing cultural competency training for heathcare providers or a broad overview for undergraduate students from all disciplines.
And Coming Soon:
- A dual-language (English-Spanish) layout format will be available in PDF form in Fall 2018
- Food Sobriety will be published in a Spanish print version in 2019.
- English and Spanish eBooks, projected for release in late 2018 or early 2019.